One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Lost in the German Countryside...Again

So this morning I woke up late and met up with everyone a before we set off for our excursion for the day. We had a date with the Brixners, who have been associated with Valpo for a long time. They live in a small town called Wurmlingen, which is about a ten minute drive, or an hour and forty minute walk through the hills.
We set off at one and started to climb. Again.
We had somewhat vague directions on how to get there, but we still managed to get lost. We made our way up into the hills past the castle and continued to follow the not so clear signs. We came to the first unclear fork in the path and took a left, which turned out to be the wrong way, so we asked a nice lady walking down the path, and found that we had to go back down the right hand path. We came across probably twelve other forks in the path, and before long we found ourselves going down the wrong path (it was not actually wrong, just a little out of the way). We walked down this path, which took us down off the hill. At the bottom of the hill we reached a road which was not really a road, but rather two separate slabs of concrete divided by gravel. We followed this path until we saw a church up on the hill on one side, and a small town on the other side. We decided to walk through the fields to the small town. We walked to the town, saw the train station and realized that we were in the completely wrong town. Hannah got on the phone with the Brixners, and we found out that we needed to go toward the church on the hill, as they lived at the foot of the hill near some tennis courts and other sports fields. We asked a lady in the village how to get to Wurmlingen, and before long we found the correct road to take. We walked for another thirty minutes, and then found Frau Brixner in the town after a total of three hours of walking through the hills. This hike was only supposed to take about an hour and a half, and it took us three. I feel like this should have been expected... the German countryside wins again. We had a nice dinner with the Brixners, but poor Rachel was so tired and was sort of falling asleep, so she laid down on a lounge chair and Frau Brixner even gave her a blanket. Dinner was a lot of fun, and after dinner we had some really yummy cake and coffee. After a very interesting and fun evening with the Brixners, we were dropped off at the bus stop and took the bus back to Tübingen. Now I am updating my blog at Hannah's, because my computer is still so screwed up. Every one else is laying on the bed, and my head is killing me, so I think it may be an early night for me. I will try to update again soon, but I don't know when I will be on next. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment