One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Classes and Thievery in the DM

So this morning I woke up a little later than usual, and headed off to my class for the day. It was a little easier going to class knowing that after our first lecture, we would be receiving help in choosing our courses. After our lecture, we met in the computer lab in the building. Rachel and I shared a computer, though she may say differently, because I did sort of hog it... Sorry again Rachel! After several panic attacks and life crises, I think I have a lay out of my classes for the semester. I am bummed though, because the class that I did want to take for my Humanities credit for Valpo was a History class about the US in WWII and the Cold War. I thought it would be really interesting to learn about this from the German perspective, but alas, Valpo needs me to take a dumb theology course similar to their Christian Tradition course. Therefore, I am now taking a international political theories course this semester instead, so that maybe next semester I can take the class that I wanted to. And even more good news, it looks like I am going to have Fridays free!! YAY! 

Here is the list of classes that it looks like I'm going to take:
1. English Literature in the 17th Century
2. American Poetrz of the 1950's and 60's
3. Einführung in die Internationalen Beziehungen
4. Deutsche Phonetik und Konversation
and brace yourselves for this one...
5. Mission, Ausbreitung und Ausdifferenzierung des westlichen Christentums (Konfessionskunde des Westens)

Poor Rachel had a really hard time finding classes, as she is a BIO major, which she is now second guessing. And Hannah had her own freak out session while trying to find enough English classes to fill her requirements as an English major. After we finished picking our classes and learning how to register for them (for the lectures we just show up and say "Hey, I want to be in your class!"), I left to go check my mail, as I have been waiting for my PIN for my German bank card. I have not been able to access my money, and therefore had to borrow from Rachel, my own personal loan shark =) ! I got back to the Froschgasse, and found it there, and with an angelic singing choir in the background, I opened my envelope to find my PIN!!! Thank you Deutsche Bank for providing me with a means to purchase food. 

After I picked up some money and paid my debts to the other members of the Tübingener Fünf, we went to sit in the park for a bit before heading back to watch three more groups present something about Germany. After all of the groups presented, we were done for the day, and Rachel, Hannah, and I went to DM to buy some cleaning supplies for our rooms. I bought some paper towels there, and as I was walking through the store, I saw a little boy with glasses (I say glasses, because the were really thick and quite a distinguishing factor). At first I was like, "Oh look a little German child", but the boy looked up at me with this "OH CRAP" look on his face, and I looked down at his hand. He was sticking gum, which presumably he just picked off the shelf, down his pants... Unless he just liked to stick gum in his pants... Who am I to judge that I guess...
But, anyway, I gave him this sort of look, and then he turned away. Thievery! Thievery in the DM! Today it's shoving gum down your pants, and next thing he knows he's robbing the Deutsche Bank... Poor child.

Anyway, after witnessing a thief in the making, we headed down to the Edeka grocery store to buy some food. After that Hannah and Rachel went to Hannah's to do some stuff on the internet, and I headed back to my room to drop off my food before heading to the library, which is where I am now. I just sent one of the professors here at Tübingen an email saying that I would like to join their seminar, and now I am blogging for all of you at home, because apparently you all like to keep up with what I am doing (so says Aunt D, with whom I skyped yesterday, and it was quite lovely to see hers, Aunt Arlene's and Uncle Dub's faces).
I hope that you all have a good rest of your day, as mine is slowly fading away. Tomorrow I will be heading of to the Bodensee with my course, and I will take pictures, but will probably not get to post them until I have my computer back, which will probably be a couple days yet.
Tschüss!

No comments:

Post a Comment