One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Wo sind die Party Hände?!

Translation:
Where are the party hands?!

Answer:
Tonight, we were all invited to go to a Fasching event by Steffi, who studied abroad in Valpo last year. Fasching, for those of you who may not know, is similar to Carnival, or is even compared to Halloween in the US. Everyone gets all dressed up and they have parades, and other fun events this time of year. So earlier today I met up with Hannah and we went to buy our costumes. I decided on being a cowgirl, because as a cowgirl I get to say phrases like:
"There's a snake in my boot"
"Yippee-Kai-Yay-Mother..."
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us"
... and so on!
Hannah chose to switch from her original princess idea, to flapper. She bought a wig, that turned out to look like Medusa's hair, so she ended up not wearing it. Hannah also bought a wig for Rachel, who ended up not going because she is still sick. So Hannah ended up taking Rachel's hot pink wig. It was a sight, and Katy Perry would have been jealous of such pink hair.
So we met up at Jake's room to finish putting together our costumes. Jake was a cowboy, and Zach went as Al Capone.
Steffi and Clara, who also studied abroad at Valpo, came and picked us all up and then we were off to a party in some other town. I still could not tell you the name of the town, but it was not far from Tuebingen. Clara and a friend of hers went as Angry Birds. They painted their faces and dyed their hair, both very very blue. It was super creative. Everyone's costumes looked great. And soon we found ourselves at the party.
Once we were there, we got our wrist bands that let us enter the building, and followed by a man on a mini-tricycle dressed as the puppet from Saw, we joined the party.
The costumes were a lot of fun to see. There was a guy dressed as a white-Bengal tiger. I'm talking full on tiger costume with head piece and all. It must have been hot in that costume, though, because he smelled pretty bad. We also saw: Jesus, a few nuns, a banana, and lots of cowboys and pirates. 
There was a live band there. The band would play a really good song, and then play a few bad ones before playing another good one. I did not know a lot of the songs, as I'm guessing they were German drinking songs, which my high school did not teach us. But I did know a few, and learned a dance or two to some of the German songs! It was really a lot of fun! At one point, the song called for a big line to be formed. We started up a conga line, and then joined with another one to make it even longer. But after a couple of minutes of dancing around the room, we split off to a smaller line with Jake in the front. Jake, however, decided that he did not want to lead the line, but wanted to get a drink. He tried to leave the line, but everyone followed him. I thought it was hilarious. Still the funniest moment of the night to me. 
So, back to my original question: Wo sind die Party Hände?!
The singer would keep on saying that: Wo sind die Party Hände?! Wo sind die Party Hände?!
And when he said that, you would have to raise up your hands. By the end of the night, after showing them our party hands like 100 times, it grew into a sort of joke. I will never lose my Party Hände, and I will always be able to answer the question: Wo sind die Party Hände?
Afterwards, Steffi drove us all back and dropped Hannah and me in the Altstadt, so we wouldn't have to catch a bus back. On the way back, Steffi said that we had now experienced a German Fasching.  It was a good night, and a lot of fun.
Well, I don't think I'll post until after I get back from Paris. I leave Sunday night and arrive Monday morning. We'll be there for five days. If I'm TAKEN, I fully expect someone to play Liam Neeson and come and get me! =] Any takers? Well on that note, I'll post again when I get back!

No comments:

Post a Comment