One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Schokomarkt

So with the holiday season quickly approaching, Tuebingen has been decorating their streets with these weird spiky ball things:
I later connected these spiky ball things all over Tuebingen with the Schokomarkt (Chocolate Market) that was coming to Tuebingen this week! This Schokomarkt is the biggest chocolate market/fest in Germany, and that's right folks, it is here in Tuebingen. We made plans to meet up with Helena, Niels, Helina, and a few other people to walk through the market together. We met in front of the Deutsche Bank before setting out through the streets of the Altstadt. It was pretty crowded, filled with saunterers, and we had to keep stopping to wait for people as they stopped to look at something. It was a little irritating at first, but the fact that I was surrounded by chocolate and the smell of chocolate quickly appeased my irritation. We walked up and down the market a few times stopping at random places along the way.
Here was the main street in front of the church filled with tents, people, and (of course) lots and lots of chocolate!

It was really cool, because they had these projections on the buildings. It gave it a sort of Disney feel!


They were also building a cookie roof! Pretty cool!

This was in the main market place by the Rathaus.

They put up a tree right in front of the Rathaus for Christmas time! It was pretty hard to get a good picture in the dark.

Rachel bought herself a Schoko-Banane!

All the buildings lit up!

They had these snowflakes in the windows of one building. I challenge you Mom! See if you can make these!

They also had a booth for Schoko-Kunst (chocolate art)! Who wouldn't want a dress decorated in chocolate.. I tell you who would: Lady Gaga.

Cafe Lieb had chocolate fountains: a must for any chocolate festival!


Hannah bought herself a Hot Chocolate, which was really just Chocolate that was hot, because it was really just like pudding. But it looked good despite that fact. (It also looked like a lactose intolerant's worse nightmare!)

After we walked up and down a few times, I stopped at a booth to buy some cheap chocolate and maybe a souvenir or two! It was a lot of fun, a lot of chocolate, and good times all around!
After a while, we all split up and I headed back to my building to make real food for dinner. 
Today we went to go drop off some paper work at the university offices in between my classes, but soon found that they were closed, so we left all of our paperwork in their mailboxes with an apology letter for the fact that our paperwork might be late. Sorry Germany, your bureaucratic system is just too much for the poor, dumb foreign students.
Well, right now besides being a bit bored and procrastinating my homework, I am currently package-less at the thirty day mark, and am getting more annoyed with customs at every passing day. I now look at DHL trucks with nothing but pure hatred, and have Hannah telling me that they have my package in the truck but are just driving around with it all around Tuebingen just to spite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment