One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Sunday, January 29, 2012

RubbeldieKatz

So, I finally have something of worth to post beyond homework and procrastination! Although, today was filled with procrastination, I felt it was useful procrastination.
I woke up this morning and did nothing of consequence. I ended up taking a nap and not doing much the entire day, until about 5. Hannah and I made plans with Rachel to go and see a German movie today at the Blaue Bruecke (Blue Bridge) movie theater. Most of the movies that are showing here are foreign films, mostly from the US, but also a few from France as well. They dub all of these movies, so I thought it best if we went to go see one that was not dubbed, because it is much easier to understand when you can read their lips along with it! The film we decided to see was RubbeldieKatz, starring the wonderful Matthias Schweighöfer. Because who wouldn't want to see a movie starring this good looking guy:
 Who turns into this broad-shouldered looking woman:
The movie is said to be a sort of version of Tootsie. Here's the story:
Good old Matthias is an actor who can't get a job as a man, but found that he could as a woman. He inevitably falls in love with the female co-star that he had gotten together with as a man before "becoming" a woman. He gets cast in an American movie as the wife of a Nazi officer, because Americans really only make movies about Germany during WWII (which they made clear in the movie).

The movie was pretty funny, and very German... meaning lots of inappropriate-ness. It was a good time had by all.
Here's one of the teaser trailers for the movie:
It was my opinion, that at times, Matthias made a pretty convincing woman. It could have been his pale-ghostly-white complexion that helped this.. not entirely sure.

The theater was different. The room was much smaller. The chairs were comfier and not elevated as they are in the US. Every other seat had a cup holder in front of it. These were a few differences!

Rachel and Hannah with their popcorn that they bought, which turned out to be kernel corn. Too bad...

After the movie was done, instead of going back out the way we came, everyone filed out of the doors that lead straight outside. I felt like the theater could not wait to be rid of us. I suppose the theater was really small though, and could not allow so many people to go back out the way they came in. 
It was a good experience, and I'm glad that we went to see this movie!
I hope that I will get to blog again soon! I have one final this week, one next week, and an oral exam some time in the next two weeks (sometime, I'm not exactly sure when... probably should find out!)

Well I hope you enjoyed a little about German cinema!

No comments:

Post a Comment