One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Fun with German Bums!

Here's me from the Wein Fest the other day, but I didn't get the chance to post this one:

Now, on to today!!
I slept really well last night, a little too well in fact. I did not wake up to my alarm this morning. I hurried to get ready as last night after going out we all made plans to meet at the Neckar Bruecker (Neckar Bridge) bus stop to go and pay our first months rent! I got ready and out the door in almost no time at all, and I managed to stop into a bakery to get breakfast before I got to the bus stop. I realized then that I was a little too early,  so I made the decision to go and get some tea to go with my breakfast! I then saw Jake and Zach who came with me for my tea run! 
We met up with Hannah and Rachel shortly after and all took the bus to pay our rent. The ride wasn't long, and we found the correct building without too much trouble! We went to talk to a lady at one of the desks, who sorted out our paperwork and led us the way to pay our rent for this month (This was the only month that we needed to front the cash. In the future the rent will just be automatically withdrawn from my German account). One by one we lined up to pay rent. Rachel went first and as she was talking to the lady at the counter, something made the lady realize that she was American because she switched to English.
Normally, it would be nice to hear some English, but not so much for us. 
The big joke for us is that any time we have an epic German failure, which may or may not include the switching of conversation to English, a giant Professor DeMaris (our German Professor at Valpo) appears in the sky and hits a big buzzer that signifies just how much we failed. Now Rachel was not the first one to receive the buzzer, but I felt that since I have not mentioned it prior to this, I probably should do so now. In blogs to come I might reference the buzzer or the giant DeMaris in the sky, so it is best to be prepared!

I paid my rent in turn and we left to go back to Hannah's place. When we got off the bus, Hannah and I went into the Markt right by her building so that we could send in our DAAD papers. We all went into the market, and Hannah and I split from the rest of the group to go into the Post in order to figure out how to mail in everything. We filled out our paperwork, bought our envelopes and stamps, and as we were going to bring them up to the counter to mail them out, we heard a lovely man with flowers in his hair...
This man looked sort of like a hippie, and most likely was filled with some sort of substance that made him just a little crazy. He was sort of rambling at first, and then really loudly said, 
"Entschuldigung! Ich liebe euch!"
He then proceeded to swing his leg over the poles that told the customers where to stand in line, which were fairly high off the ground. After this he started saying some obscene things that I do not feel comfortable repeating with so many young readers! Essentially, he had heard a woman talking on her cell phone and said that he would take the cell phone to bed and.......
So yes! What a fun day at the Post!
After that we went to Jake's room to see what it looked like, as we had only ever been to Hannah's room, Rachel's room, or my own. We took the bus to his and stayed there for a little while.
Jake and Zach had to leave to go to Stuttgart to see their friend, so Rachel, Hannah, and I went to Kaufland to do some grocery shopping, as eating out every night is expensive here!
We successfully got on all the right buses, and once there I bought some pasta, rice, snacks, drinks, sauces, and even a Pizza-Kit (or as I like to call it: A box of LIES). 
This happy little misleading box of lies shows a delicious pizza on the front, but alas contains no cheese! What is a pizza without cheese, I ask you. I suppose it will be alright, due to the fact that cheese makes me sick anyway, but the Chicago girl in me feels very strongly about this!!
To go along with the box of lies, is the misleading water bottle!
The water bottle clearly says STILL on it, but there was nothing still about it! Bubbles everywhere.
But anyway, enough ranting about misleading packaging.
We paid for our food and caught the correct bus (again) to my house and unloaded everything.
On a separate note, I realized that I had not taken pictures of my room yet, so here it is!
Here are the stairs heading up to my room, and down to the street!

Here is the kitchen down the hall from me!

Again, the kitchen!

This is the ABSOLUT VODKA bottle filled with pills that is hanging in my kitchen for some reason... I'm a little concerned, and think that someone has some serious issues to work out!

My food cubby!

My closet!

My bookshelf and IKEA bought hamper!

My already messy desk area!

My bed!
And, most importantly: Here are some of my pictures that I brought with from home!!  I miss you all!!!

By the way, if you were wondering how bad my jeans were, here they are!
As you can see, I am utterly shocked by that rip!
After relaxing in my room for a while, we went to the bookstore around the corner-ish where Hannah and Rachel both bought books. 
In the book store I saw many things that I thought were interesting and that reminded me of home. There were a lot of Nora Roberts and Janet Evanovich  novels which reminded me of home. 
Harry Potter exists in Germany, even in Lego form!

I am considering buying one of these!!

Jenna, this says "Take a pause Beaver!", But it looks like "Bieber", so I thought of you!
We thought this was pretty funny! It says "Der Bro Code".

We then went to go get some ice cream, and sat at the steps of the nearby church while eating! We then went back to my room again and just relaxed for a while longer! We spent a long time just talking and setting up plans for the days to come!

Today I was shown this video, asking the question of why Tübingen is so hilly. I could not have asked a better question! Please enjoy the mindless singing and dancing:
WARNING: It turns into a pretty crazy dance party at the end!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha...ummm I dont even have words for this. Jenna said that the girl in the dress looked like a man and the girl with cherries on her boobs was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, genieße ich einen Blog! Es sieht aus wie gute Freunde und eine tolle Zeit!! Viel Spaß!

    ReplyDelete