One Year Abroad!

Thank you all for following along as I blog about my year abroad. I will not be able to blog every day, but when I am able to post, I hope that you all enjoy! I know that it makes it easier for me just knowing that my family and friends are reading at home and supporting me even when I'm away!!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Catch Up Blog

I know it's been a while since I've posted last, but now is my time to make up for that! 
I've been rather busy with classes and dealing with annoying people who piggyback off your project, but I've also had some non-school related events to blog about. 
(By the way, if you were wondering, I gave my presentation and got my grade. The difference between my grade and that girl's grade was only a .3 difference... Here the grading scale goes from 1 to 5, with 1 being the highest you can get, and 5 the lowest. Needless to say, I argued the grade, and am still waiting to hear back from the professor about it. He may have forgotten. I should probably remind him.)

Anyway...
A while back, I went with Hannah and Rachel to go see THE AVENGERS! It was marvelous by the way. There is a US military base near Stuttgart, so they have a theater that shows movies in English for them and their families. 

The Tony Stark sarcasm. Never gets old.

Before the show it was hailing and raining outside. Afterwards, there was a beautiful double-rainbow. You can really only see the one here.

There is a giant Spiderman outside the theaters on the way up the stairs. It was kind of scary. He was probably feeling a little down, because he wasn't invited to avenge with the team.
 The weather has been really nice lately. With the nice weather, we've been going to the park to read and catch up on homework. I was laying down reading A Tale of Two Cities for one of my classes, and decided to take a picture:

On top of the nice weather, my birthday was this month! 21! Not that it really matters here, but still was something to celebrate I suppose. After my long day in classes, as my birthday was on a Monday this year, I headed over to Hannah's. At Hannah's we had a bit of a party. They made dinner, baked a cake, made some cookies, and had me open presents.
A poster from Hannah. Hunger Games. Good life choices.

Also got some music, a mug, and a beautiful scarf from Helina (which Hannah thought was toilet paper at first, so now it is the standing joke any time I wear it).
 Rachel got me a book to fill with memories from our year in Germany! I am still working on that one!
And then Jake's present came along. Jake, being the planner that he is, wrapped up something like 8 phone books, which were free in the market for anyone to take, and put little clues in them for me to find my present. Here I am opening the phone books. I was wondering what it was, because it was so heavy. Phone books. That's what it was. Oh, Jake.
 As I am playing catch-up, I must blog about our trip two days ago. All the Tuebingen students from Valpo were invited (and I say "invited" a bit ironically, as we were told we had to go to) to go to Rottenburg am Neckar for the day. I had to skip a class to go to this event, which lasted about six hours. We met Tim Malchow at the train station and hopped a train to Rottenburg. There we were greeted by someone who went with us to eat before showing us around the city. We climbed up high and got a good view of the city:
 After walking around for a while, we walked to a museum to learn more about the Roman ruins of Rottenburg. On the way to the museum, Rachel found a store that she could identify with:

After the museum, we had to try and read some poetry written in Swabian dialect. To give you an idea of Swabian, here's a video of the Barackness monster:

Hochdeutsch (or high German) is completely different. I was fortunate enough to come to a part of Germany that speaks in a Swabian accent. You know, so I can practice all my German. 

Well, that's it for now. On Sunday, I head to London for my Pentecost (Pfingstferien) break. My trip is a week long, and I'm sure that I will have lots to blog about and a lot of pictures!

I look forward to blogging again soon, as I know I will have lots to write about! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment